- The Club
- Contact Us
- Sign In
We understand that there are some people who really want to be part of the sailing club but who can’t or don’t want to sail regularly. The BSC Supporters Club is designed for you. Generally we recommend that new members with limited dinghy sailing experience in Brighton join BSC Supporters Club initially. This will help you decide whether sailing and/or Brighton beach is for you. This will help you get to know some of the members, and try crewing for existing members on a few occasions (normally we limit this to 2 or 3 sails). We want to encourage the families of BSC members to use the facilities, and particularly children and young people to get involved in watersports. To support this we offer family membership which lets the family enjoy the facilities without the need for regular sailing or responsibility for duties. Some people (friends, ‘retired’ dinghy sailors and so on) want to use the club facilities with the BSC members but not to sail. Social membership allows access to the bar/ social events but not full access to wet facilities, boat storage and sailing.
BRIGHTON SAILING CLUB SUPPORTERS' CLUB -CONSTITUTION
Based on the RYA Model Constitution for an Unincorporated Supporters’ Club. www.rya.org.uk © Royal Yachting Association Updated: 1 April 2016
SECTION 1 -NAME AND PURPOSES
1. The name of the supporters club shall be 'The Brighton Sailing Club Supporters' Club' (hereinafter referred to in this constitution as the Supporters' Club).
Purposes of Supporters' Club
2. The purposes for which the Supporters' Club is formed are to provide support to Brighton Sailing Club (hereinafter referred to as BSC) and provide access to social and other facilities of BSC for members of the Supporters' Club as may be from time to time determined. The Supporters’ Club is an affiliate of BSC.
SECTION 2 -OFFICERS
Officers of the Supporters' Club
3. The Officers of the Supporters' Club shall consist of a Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. All Officers must be either Full Members of BSC or members of the Supporters’ Club. Officers shall be appointed by BSC's Committee and announced at the Annual General Meeting of the Supporters Club held in each year and shall hold office for one year, retiring at the termination of the Annual General Meeting in each year. All Officers of the Supporters' Club shall be eligible for re-appointment by BSC's Committee. Duties of Secretaries, etc.
Duties of Secretary
4. The Secretary shall:
- (a) keep a register of the Supporters' Club members' names and addresses;
- (b) conduct the correspondence of the Supporters' Club;
- (c) keep custody of all Supporters' Club documents;
- (d) keep full minutes of all meetings of the Supporters' Club and the Management Committee which shall be confirmed and signed by the appropriate Chairperson upon the agreement of the Supporters' Club or the Management Committee at the next following meeting of the Supporters' Club or the Management Committee; and
- (e) maintain any such certificates or registrations, and complete any such non-financial returns, as may be required by law.
Duties of Treasurer
5. The Treasurer shall:
- (a) cause such accounting records to be kept as are necessary to give a true and fair view of the state of finances of the Supporters' Club;
- (b) cause all returns as may be required by law in relation to such accounts to be rendered at the due time;
- (c) Prepare an Annual Balance Sheet as at 1 December in each year and cause such Balance Sheet (and accounts as necessary) to be reviewed by the Management Committee at least once annually and shall thereafter cause the same to be exhibited in BSC’s premises at least fourteen days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
- (d) present the Annual Balance Sheet to the Supporters' Club at its Annual General Meeting for members’ approval.
SECTION 3 – MEMBERSHIP
6. The Management Committee shall delegate the admission of members of the Supporters' Club to BSC's Committee. The Supporters' Club may have such categories of members as BSC's Committee decides.
All members aged 18 or older shall have the power to vote at all meetings of the Supporters' Club as indicated hereunder.
No member may receive the benefits of membership (including the use of any facilities of BSC on such terms as BSC decides) until forty-eight hours have elapsed from the date of posting of notice of admittance.
Rights and privileges of Members
7. Members shall have rights to use BSC's facilities upon such terms as BSC's Committee shall in their absolute discretion decide from time to time and as may be stipulated in an agreement between the Supporters' Club and BSC and/or any provisions in BSC's Bye Laws and Regulations as BSC may decide apply to the Supporters' Club and its members from time to time.
Membership Entrance and Subscription Fee
8. The rate of Entrance, Subscription fee or other annual payments such as boat permits for each category of membership, including the terms and conditions of payment or any applicable waivers, shall be set by the Management Committee and announced at the Annual General Meeting of the Supporters' Club in each year and shall become operative on the first day of January in the year following or such other time as may be decided by the Management Committee from time to time. The current rate of Entrance and Subscription fee shall be prominently displayed in BSC’s premises.
Members' duty to provide an up to date address
9. Every member shall furnish the Secretary with an up-to-date address which shall be recorded in the Register of Members and any notice sent to such address shall be deemed to have been duly delivered.
Admission, renewal and removal of membership; and conduct of members
10. The Management Committee shall delegate the admission of new members, renewal of membership, removal of membership and disciplinary action in relation to the Supporters' Club's members to BSC's Committee. The Management Committee will periodically review and approve BSC’s Committee decisions on membership matters which have been delegated to it under this Rule.
BSC's rules relating to admission of members, refusal of membership, conduct of members and removal of membership shall apply to the members and prospective members of the Supporters' Club as amended from time to time; provided that if BSC rules include a right of appeal to the members of BSC against a decision for example to remove membership, such appeal shall go to the members of the Supporters’ Club instead. For the avoidance of doubt, if a member is expelled from BSC following disciplinary action, the Supporters’ Club may refuse that individual membership.
Retirement of a member and moving membership to and from BSC
11. A member desirous of retiring from membership shall give notice in writing to the Secretary before the last day of November and shall not then be liable to pay the subscription for the following year. Upon re-application by a past member the Management Committee may, at its discretion, waive any Entrance Fee. No Entrance Fee will be payable by any member who joins the Supporters’ Club having just ceased to be a member of BSC and who has previously paid an Entrance Fee to BSC. A member who retires in accordance with this Rule shall not be entitled to have any part of the annual membership fee or any other fees refunded. A member who is admitted as a member of BSC shall automatically cease to be a member of the Supporter’s Club and need not serve notice of their retirement on the Supporters’ Club.
Limitation of Supporters' Club liability
12. All references to the Supporters' Club in this Rule shall mean each and every individual member of the Supporters' Club from time to time. Members are bound by the following Rule which shall also be exhibited in a prominent place within BSC's premises: Members of the Supporters' Club may use BSC premises, and any other facilities of BSC, entirely at their own risk and impliedly accept:
- (a) neither the Supporters' Club nor BSC will accept any liability for any damage to or loss of property belonging to members.
- (b) neither the Supporters' Club nor BSC will accept any liability for personal injury arising out of the use of BSC premises, or any other facilities of BSC, either sustained by members or caused by the said members whether or not such damage or injury could have been attributed to or was occasioned by the neglect, default or negligence of any of them, the Officers, Management Committee, Trustees or Servants of the Supporters' Club or BSC. Data Protection
13. Membership of the Supporters' Club and acceptance of these Rules by the member will be deemed to constitute consent to the processing of relevant personal data for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts and consent for the Supporters’ Club to share this data with BSC.
SECTION 4 -MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
Constitution of Management Committee
14. The Management Committee of the Supporters’ Club (herein referred to as 'the Management Committee') shall consist of not less than two nor more than four Full Members of BSC or the Supporters’ Club (who have attained the age of eighteen years).
Retirement of members of the Management Committee
15. At the Annual General Meeting all members of the Management Committee shall retire unless reappointed, provided that one will only be eligible for re-appointment if they continue to be Full Members of BSC or the Supporters’ Club (who have attained the age of eighteen years).
ppointment by CASC's Committee
16. Management Committee members shall be appointed or reappointed by a decision of BSC's Committee, with such decision being announced at the Supporters' Club's Annual General Meeting.
17. If, for any reason, a casual vacancy shall occur, BSC's Committee may co-opt Full Members of BSC or Supporters’ Club (who have attained the age of eighteen years) to fill such a vacancy until the next following Annual General Meeting.
Removal of Management Committee members
18. Management Committee members may be removed by a decision of BSC's Committee from time to time or by a resolution of the Supporters’ Club members. Management Committee Meetings
19. The Management Committee shall call meetings as required, making such arrangements as the conduct, place of assembly and holding of such meetings as it may wish.
Voting at Management Committee
20. Voting shall be by show of hands. In the case of equality of votes the Chairperson shall have a second and casting vote.
21. Two members personally present shall form a quorum at a meeting of the Management Committee.
Powers of the Management Committee
Management of Supporters' Club by Management Committee
22. The Management Committee shall manage the affairs of the Supporters' Club (including entering into contracts on behalf of the Supporters’ Club by authorising an individual or individuals of the Management Committee to sign such contracts) according to these Rules and shall cause the funds of the Supporters' Club to be applied solely to the purposes of the Club.
In particular the Management Committee shall ensure that the property and funds of the Supporters' Club will not be used for the direct or indirect private benefit of members other than as reasonably allowed by the Rules and that all surplus income or profits are re-invested in the Supporters’ Club or donated to BSC.
Disclosure of interest to third parties
23. A member of the Management Committee or any Officer of the Supporters' Club, in transacting business for the Supporters' Club, shall disclose to third parties that he is so acting.
Members' indemnification of Management Committee
24. In pursuance of the authority vested in the Management Committee by members of the Supporters' Club, members of the Management Committee shall be indemnified by the members of the Supporters' Club out of the assets of the Supporters' Club from and against any liability, costs, expenses or payments whatsoever which may be properly incurred or made by them or any one of them in the exercise of their duties on behalf of the Supporters' Club wherever the contract is of a duly authorised nature or could be assumed to be of a duly authorised nature and entered into on behalf of the Supporters' Club. Should the assets of the Supporters' Club be insufficient to satisfy such liability, costs, expenses or payments the Management Committee shall be entitled to a personal indemnity from the individual members of the Supporters' Club.
The limit of any individual member's indemnity in this respect shall be a sum equal to one year's subscription at the then current rate of that category of membership unless the Management Committee has been authorised to exceed such limit by a General Meeting of the Supporters' Club.
SECTION 6 -MEETINGS OF THE SUPPORTERS' CLUB
Annual General Meeting
25. An Annual General Meeting of the Supporters' Club shall be held each year in the month of December on a date to be fixed by the Management Committee. The Secretary shall at least fourteen days before the date of such meeting post or deliver to each member notice hereof and of the business to be brought forward thereat. Business at Annual General Meeting
26. No business, except the passing of the Accounts and the announcement of the appointment of the Officers and members of the Management Committee, and any business that the Management Committee may order to be inserted in the notice convening the meeting shall be discussed at such meeting unless notice thereof be given in writing by a member entitled to vote to the Secretary at least forty two days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
Special General Meeting
27. The Management Committee may at any time, upon giving twenty one days' notice in writing, call a Special General Meeting of the Supporters' Club for any special business, the nature of which shall be stated in the summons convening the meeting, and the discussion at such meeting shall be confined to the business stated in the notice sent to members. Chairperson at Meetings
28. At every meeting of the Supporters' Club, a Chairperson elected by those present shall preside, such Chairperson to be a member of the Management Committee.
Quorum at Meetings
29. Fifteen members entitled to vote and personally present shall form a quorum at any meeting of the Supporters' Club.
Voting at Meetings
30. All members who have reached the age of 18 or over shall be entitled to vote and voting shall be by show of hands. Equality of Votes
31. In the case of an equality of votes the Chairperson shall have a second or casting vote. Voting on Rule Change
32. On any resolution properly put to a meeting of the Supporters’ Club relating to the creation, repeal or amendment of any Rule, Byelaw or Regulation of the Supporters’ Club such Rule, Byelaw or Regulation shall not be created, repealed or amended except by a majority vote of at least two-thirds of those present and entitled to vote.
SECTION 7 -DISSOLUTION OF THE SUPPORTERS' CLUB
Dissolution of the Supporters' Club
33. If, upon the winding up or dissolution of the Supporters' Club, there remains after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities any property whatsoever, the same shall not be paid to or distributed amongst the members of the Supporters' Club. The Management Committee shall dispose of the net assets remaining to BSC except if BSC no longer exists in which case to the following: (i) to a charity and/or (ii) to another club with similar sports purposes which is a registered Community amateur Sports Club and/or (iii) to the sport's national governing body for use by it for related community sports.
SECTION 8 -MISCELLANEOUS
34. The Members acknowledge that these Rules constitute a legally binding contract to regulate the relationship of the members with each other and the Supporters' Club and where applicable BSC.